UPS is the abbreviation for Uninterrupted Power Supply. It is a battery supported device that ensures the smooth functioning of a computer system for a certain time period in case of power failure. This helps to save the work and prevent loss of data all of a sudden due to an interruption in power supply. The UPS system helps to control the power transmission from the source to the computer system.
Why We must Use UPS With PC?
It helps to prevent damage to the electronic devices caused by variances in the power supply or a sudden disruption caused by bolts of lightning, power line cut off, spikes of voltage or long periods of brownouts in the power supply. It can also help to neutralize the distortion in power signals and frequency, ensuring the smooth functioning of the computer system. It helps to prevent the computers and its devices from getting overheated and failing.
UPS also prevents malfunctioning of the PC caused by unexpected power loss.
Types of UPS for PC
The UPS device has different types that can be selected and configured with the computer system as per requirements. The different kinds of UPS system are:
- Line Interactive Type
- Standby Online Hybrid
- Standby Ferro Type
- Double Conversion Online Type
- Delta Conversion Online Type
The Standby Type of UPS is usually the most commonly used device for personal home computers. It is usually very efficient and can be acquired on a low budget. It does not take up much space and has a simple design which fits into your work area easily.
Top #10 Benefits of UPS for PC
The Benefits of using a UPS device for your PC;
- Protection against sudden loss of data
- Provides time to save work
- Saves you some time which you would have lost trying to recover unsaved work or re-doing work.
- Protects against damage to the computer system caused by a forced shutdown and a sudden hindrance to a power supply. Sudden halt can cause impose extreme stress on the hardware devices which can cause permanent damage to the devices.
- Functions as an emergency power supply
- Acts as a standby power provider.
- The UPS device can be configured to different kinds of computer systems as required.
- There are various types of UPS devices available in the market to suit different budgetary requirements.
- Besides protecting the computer system, it also provides protection to the modem, external drives, gaming consoles, routers and even other kinds of electronic devices.
- UPS also provides protection against power voltage fluctuations or power surges.
- UPS helps to provide battery backup.
UPS devices help to provide backup support to computers usually for short time. However certain industries and firms invest in commercial service providing highly efficient powerful UPS that provide the alternate source of power for quite a long time so that you can get time to save your data, finish your work and shut down the system properly. Even if low power UPS cannot provide backup for long periods of time, it can provide a time margin for the computer system to switch to a hibernation mode instead of sudden shutdown.
Good quality UPS devices come with long battery life and user-replaceable battery systems. The battery life can vary from 3 to 5 years depending on the usage and capacity. Most UPS devices are noisy. Though, the small UPS devices do not have fans in them, the larger units do have fans. While most floor UPS systems come without a display unit, a few modern ones do. This display system is mainly to show the remaining battery time and few other compulsory details.