The ceiling fan is an electronic cooling device used commonly in homes and all other commercial institutions. Ceiling fans are usually much lower on cost as compared to coolers and air-conditioners. The function of ceiling fans is to circulate air around the room with the help of rotating blades. Although the speed and efficiency of the fan are not dependent on the number of fan blades, the size of the fan does matter. A bigger fan is more functional and increases air circulation in bigger rooms. A bigger fan also provides more powerful cooling as compared to a smaller one.
How to Choose the Best Ceiling Fans for Home Use?
Few things to keep in mind while purchasing a ceiling fan, hope it will help you to choose better ceiling fans;
1) The Size of the Fan Blades– Bigger, better pitched fan blades provide powerful air circulation and serve your purpose better than small fans. However, it depends on the availability of space in your room and ceiling. The fan blades can vary from 2 blades to nearly 9 blades. However, the 3, 4 and 5 blade varieties are more popularly available.
2) The Size of the Room– While bigger fans are suited for large rooms, smaller fans can work for small rooms and spaces.
3) The Height of the Ceiling– Fans are usually placed at the bottom of a rod which is hung on the ceiling. If you have a sloping or low ceiling, these fans would hinder the blade movement and also unsuitable for aesthetics. In that case, you will require to choose fans that have the shorter mounted rod. A fan with a satisfactory height will result in better air circulation.
4) The Finishing of the Fan Blades– The Finishing of the Blade is important for a more lasting purchase and to complement with the room decor. Depending upon the furnishing and décor of the room, you can choose traditional, vintage designs which are ornamental and come with an antique finish. There are other varieties to suit a more modern and urban home décor. You can choose your fan blade colors as per your preference. While you can opt for monochrome colors, you can also find printed, patterned and embellished varieties too.
5) The Power and Quality of the Fan Motor– Ceiling fans that work with the help of DC Motors consume much less heat and energy while providing maximum torque and energy. DC motors do not create noise and disturbance. These are usually low maintenance motors.
6) Energy Rating of the Fan– The fans with maximum Energy Star ratings provide efficient energy saving without compromising on function. They help to save on the monthly electricity bills.
7) Optional facilities– Some fans come with the additional features of lights and music too. These fans come with special fixtures for the purpose of illumination. The prices for these varieties of fans are usually on the higher side.
Fans can be installed indoors or outdoors. In case of outdoor varieties, which mostly refers to fan fixtures in covered terraces, porches, and balconies, the fan structure has to be heatproof, waterproof and sturdy. The metal fixtures should also be protected from rust.
8) Controlling the Fan – The control of the fan speed can be through wall switches and regulators. Other varieties of control are the remote control and the pull chain type.
9) Your Budget– There are a number of different styles and types of fans available to suit all kinds of budget requirements.
Some of the popular brands and the best ceiling fans in India with low consumption energy are from Bajaj, Orient, Usha, Luminous, Crompton Greaves and Havells.